By Kim Wilson
We recently announced that AGAPE had adopted the Morning Star Sanctuary Domestic Violence Shelter & Court Advocacy Program. The past few months have been busy as we are working to improve the existing facilities, as well as open additional shelters on campus. To give you an idea of our progress, here are a few updates:
- From July to September, we served 703 people with our shelter program and court advocacy programs in Nashville and Clarksville.
- Opened Shelter 2 on Oct. 9 and provided refuge to four ladies and five children during October in that new facility.
- Shelter 3 is undergoing some much-needed TLC. Albert England and his “crew” from Mt. Juliet Church of Christ graciously answered our to-do list.
- Lacie Haynes (MSS employee) organized a housewarming event to stock our new kitchens in Shelters 2 and 3. We were blessed with over $1,000 worth of new items to fill these facilities.
- HCA, Inc. and the Concord Road Church of Christ youth group volunteered to help with shelter maintenance and yard work.
- Dr. Angela Scruggs will provide counseling on campus each Friday for our ladies, and a new case manager is joining us in November.
- Madison Church of Christ offers space for our weekly Support Group and monthly Mentoring Group, coordinated by Mary Lee Thompson, as well as access to their clothing closet.
If you, your organization or congregation would like to learn more about ways to support Morning Star, please email email@example.com.